One Canadian company’s job posting is going viral because of the last line of its job description.
The posting, put up by Toronto-based web design company Vestra Inet, is for a “Content Writer/SEO specialist” who would mostly write content for clients and make blog posts. The required skills listed include:
- Writing talent; excellent grammar and spelling expected
- Computer knowledge
- Knowledge of social media (Google+, Facebook, Twitter)
- Knowledge of SEO
- Superior organizational abilities
- Ability to work independently and in coordination with a team
- Oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of Russian is a plus
The last line of the ad, however, makes note that “female candidates are preferred” since the position requires “filling in the responsibilities of a receptionist.”
A Russian-accented woman who works at the company told Jezebel that a woman was indeed hired for the job. The feminist website theorizes that since the company seems to be mostly Russian, based on its preference for applicants who speak Russian and the representative’s Russian accent, it may have wanted to stick to the more traditional gender role expectations of the country.