Japanese Patient Farts During Her Surgery, Causes Fire and Serious Burns

Japanese Patient Farts During Her Surgery, Causes Fire and Serious Burns
Ryan General
By Ryan General
October 31, 2016
A patient undergoing a surgical operation in Japan accidentally caused a sudden burst of flame after an alleged case of flatulence during the procedure. The fire sparked from the patient’s fart caused her body to be seriously burned, reported Asahi Shimbun (via the Straits Times).
A committee of external experts released its official report on Oct 28, confirming the findings that it was indeed the fart that caused the seemingly spontaneous combustion. Undergoing a cervix operation at the time, the patient described to be in her 30s was being cut by laser on her cervix area. 
The unfortunate incident took place at the Tokyo Medical University Hospital in Shinjuku Ward  on April 15 of this year.
Investigators believe that the gas was ignited by the laser. A significant part of the patient’s body, especially her waist and legs, was badly burned. The report also concluded that there were no flammable materials in the operation room during the surgery and no operation equipment malfunctioned during the procedure.
“When the patient’s intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire,” the report explained.
Flatus is mostly made up of methane and hydrogen, making them highly flammable.
Share this Article
Web Link
© 2024 NextShark, Inc. All rights reserved.