A Japanese Man Died Sunbathing in 90 Degree Heat and People Are Asking How
A 28-year-old man who apparently died after sunbathing in his backyard is the latest casualty caused by the recent heatwave in Japan.
According to the mother of the man, it has been his habit to occasionally catch some sunlight outside their home as he was working on his tan, reports Soranews24.
On Tuesday, the woman from Yatomi city, Aichi Prefecture returned home at around 3:20 p.m. shocked to find his son lying unconscious on a folding chair in their garden.
When the paramedics arrived, it was discovered that the man had suffered a cardiac arrest. He was immediately rushed to the hospital but efforts to revive him were futile as they came too late.
The man passed away about 40 minutes after his mother had found him. Doctors have attributed his death to the effects of heatstroke.
In Japan, daytime temperatures in the summer often range from 89 to 93 degrees Fahrenheit range, which is still comparatively cooler than summers in some cities in the American southwest which can go beyond 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
On the day of the incident, the neighboring town of Aisai registered temperatures of 93.6 Fahrenheit and 90.9 Fahrenheit at 3 p.m., based on obtained weather records.
It isn’t known exactly how long the man was sunbathing before he suffered a cardiac arrest. Japan’s high humidity is also seen as a contributing factor to the man’s death as it can also cause a heat stroke and speed up dehydration.
The punishing heatwave has also resulted in the hospitalization of 68 people who suffered heatstrokes in Aichi Prefecture on the same day the sunbathing man died.