An attempt by an Indian father to deliver a baby using YouTube tutorial videos resulted in a stillbirth and an arrest.
Tragic end: R. Loganathan, a 34-year-old trader from the Ranipet district of the South Indian state of Tamil Nadu, was arrested after a failed attempt at delivering his wife’s baby at home on Dec. 18, reported Khaleej Times.
- The man’s wife, 28-year-old L. Gomathi, was scheduled to deliver their baby on Dec. 13 but went into labor five days later than expected due to a pregnancy delay.
- Loganathan attempted to deliver the baby at home with assistance from his sister. They used tutorials on YouTube to guide them.
- The infant was born dead, while Loganathan’s wife was left in critical condition due to a massive loss of blood.
- Gomathi was rushed to Vellore’s Government Medical College Hospital after first being admitted to the Punnai Primary Healthcare Center.
Case filed: Authorities have filed a case against Loganathan due to a complaint by the local government’s medical officer Dr. S.N. Mohan Kumar, according to The Hindu.
- The incident is currently under investigation by a team under Deputy Director of Helogaalth Services V. Manimaran. The team was organized by the Ranipet district administration.
- According to a local police officer, the victim’s family members are not blaming Lokanathan for the incident.
- “The family members said the delivery was done with Gomathi’s permission and that there was nothing wrong on the part of Lokanathan,” the official was quoted as saying.
Featured Image via Sun News