Rookie Officer Sumit Sulan hailed a hero for taking down gunman who fatally shot NYPD cops

Deadly NYC shootout
  • New York Police Department rookie Officer Sumit Sulan shot Lawshawn McNeil during a deadly domestic dispute call in Harlem on Jan. 21.
  • McNeil allegedly shot and killed NYPD Officers Jason Rivera, who died at the scene, and Wilbert Mora, who succumbed to his injuries days later.

A rookie Indian American New York Police Department (NYPD) officer is being hailed a hero for shooting the man who killed two fellow officers during a deadly domestic dispute call in Harlem nearly two weeks ago.

Officer Sumit Sulan, an NYPD officer who was only two weeks into the force, responded to a domestic dispute call in Harlem on Jan. 21 with fellow Officers Wilbert Mora and Jason Rivera, another rookie, CBS New York reported.

A woman, identified as the mother of Lawshawn McNeil, 47, called the authorities after her son allegedly threatened her. Sulan was in the living room with the woman when he heard the alleged suspect, Lawshawn McNeil, 47, open fire at Mora and Rivera from a bedroom, according to CBS New York.

After moving the woman and her other son to safety, Sulan immediately went inside to back up the two officers and shot McNeil in the arm and head. The shooter later died from his injuries on Jan. 24.

McNeil used a a modified Glock pistol fitted with a high-capacity drum that could hold up to 40 extra rounds in addition to its usual 10, according to the New York Post.

Rivera succumbed to his injuries at the scene, while Mora sustained serious injuries. The latter officer died days later at the NYU Langone Medical Center.

Although he was not physically injured from the deadly shooting, NYPD Sgt. Bill Cannon told CBS New York that Sulan would “still need time to heal.”

You’re gonna need some help, you’re gonna need support, and you’re gonna need to try to put this behind you,” Cannon said.

Born in India, Sulan reportedly immigrated to the United States 15 years ago, his mother, Dalvir Sulan, 60, told the New York Post

“His brain is stuck on the situation,” she said of the aftermath.

Before working in the police department, Sulan had reportedly worked as an inspector for the Taxi and Limousine Commission, according to the Post.

Rivera’s remains were laid to rest at St. Patrick’s Cathedral in Manhattan on Friday. Mora’s funeral will be held on Wednesday in the same venue. 

The NYPD said it is aware of the circulating video in which a man threatened to disrupt the next police funeral.

Featured Image via CBS New York

Related Posts