Hong Kong Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying has announced that he will not seek re-election for a second term in March.
The 62-year-old official made his announcement in a press briefing on Friday, citing family reasons. He told reporters (via Hong Kong Free Press):
“It was my own decision. As a husband, as a father, I have a responsibility to take care of my family. My daughter only has one father, my wife only has one husband.”
Leung refused to tell much about his personal life but echoed the need to protect his family, “I am afraid my family may face unbearable pressure owing to my election campaign in the next few months. I must protect them on this matter.”
Reportedly, Leung’s daughter, Chai-yan, is receiving treatment for a medical condition at Prince of Wales Hospital in Sha Tin. He was allegedly spotted at the site on Thursday night.
In conjunction, Leung stressed that his decision did not come from a lack of support from the central government. He added, via South China Morning Post, “[Beijing] has always supported me and said I have done a good job.”
He did not endorse anyone for the chief executive position but vowed to support whoever wins the majority of the Election Committee.
Leung succeeded Donald Tsang Yam-kuen to become Hong Kong’s third chief executive in 2012. He previously served as an Executive Council member between 1997 and 2011.