A parrot is being hailed a hero in Australia after saving its owner’s life by warning him about a fire that broke out in his house.
Pet alarm: Anton Nguyen was sleeping inside his home in Brisbane on Wednesday night when he was woken up by the sound of his parrot yelling out to him, 9 News Australia reported.
- “Eric, my parrot, he started to yell, so I woke up and I smelt a bit of smoke, I grabbed Eric, opened the door and looked to the back of the house and saw some flames,” he was quoted as saying.
- Firefighters arrived at 2:30 a.m. but were unable to save Nguyen’s home.
Tragedy averted: Eric’s immediate warning, in which he repeatedly shouted “Anton” until he woke up, resulted in him and his owner surviving the ordeal without any injury, reported ABC.
- “There were smoke detectors [but] the bird alerted before the smoke detectors went off,” an inspector from the Queensland Fire and Emergency Service was quoted as saying.
- Parrots, which can imitate human speech, often use their vocal prowess to share important information.
- Fortunately for Nguyen, Eric knew how to put this special talent to good use.
- While Nguyen lost all of his belongings, he was thankful that he and Eric survived.
- “Everything’s alright so long as I have myself and the bird,” he said.
- Investigators have yet to determine the cause of the fire.
Featured Image Screenshots via 9 News Australia