A daily dose of Asian America's essential stories, in under 5 minutes.
Get our collection of Asian America's most essential stories to your inbox daily for free.
Unsure? Check out our Newsletter Archive.
- The young gymnast took the lead for first place and scored 14.633 points while her teammate Tang Xijing scored 14.233 points and earned the silver. Simone Biles was close behind with a score of 14.000, reported CNN World.
- The victory marks China’s first gold in women’s gymnastics since Deng Linlin won the balance beam title at the 2012 Olympics in London.
- “I’m very happy. I am very excited and I am very proud to be able to represent my country,” said Guan.
- Her win holds a personal significance since she ranked above Biles, who is Guan’s hero, according to her Olympics profile.
- She began the sport in November 2010 in Xiantao, China.
- In 2018, she was named as the Master of Sport by the General Administration of Sport of China.