A 64-year-old grandmother was robbed in broad daylight ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations.
What happened: According to KTVU, the victim had left the bank with more than $1,000 in cash for Lunar New Year.
- As she got in her car parked at a Vietnamese market, another car came and blocked her way.
- The suspects opened the door to her car, grabbed her purse and fled.
- “She was pretty shaken,” the victim’s daughter, Kathy Duong, told KTVU. “They took her purse. It had her keys, her possessions. It was gone in an instant.”
- Duong’s mother could not take a good look at the suspects. Police are searching the area for surveillance videos.
Hate crimes: The attack is the latest in a series of racially-motivated crimes targeting the Asian community in the Bay Area.
- San Jose Police are urging people to be cautious in the period leading up to Lunar New Year.
- In Oakland, police said there has been a series of attacks, robberies, and burglaries in the city’s Chinatown ahead of Lunar New Year, according to CBS.
- In one incident reported by ABC7, an unidentified suspect pushed a 91-year-old man to the ground and went on to assault two more victims.
- In San Francisco, an 84-year-old Thai elder was slammed onto the ground and killed, as NextShark reported.