Grandmother, 100, Beats COVID-19 and Says WW2 Was ‘So Much Worse’

Grandmother, 100, Beats COVID-19 and Says WW2 Was ‘So Much Worse’Grandmother, 100, Beats COVID-19 and Says WW2 Was ‘So Much Worse’
Bryan Ke
October 15, 2020
A 100-year-old grandmother from Myanmar said she was more worried about her grandchildren than herself after she and her family of 10 tested positive for COVID-19 last month.
Thein Khin, from Yangon, Myanmar, was taken to isolation after the virus spread in her family, according to Reuters.
“The situation during World War Two was so much worse. I heard this virus pandemic is also dangerous across the world. But I feel this disease is nothing,” she said. “Of course, I’m worried for my children and grandkids. Death is no matter for me because I am very old. I have escaped from many deadly, worse and dangerous situations.”
The elderly, especially people 85 years old or older, have a greater risk of getting severely ill from COVID-19, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Screenshot via Newzee
Even though Thein is a centenarian, she never experienced severe symptoms — or any symptoms at all — when she tested positive for COVID-19.
“I felt nothing. I was eating well, showering myself and walking as normal,” the grandmother, who was asymptomatic, said. “If I suffered from this virus, I would be lying and moaning on the bed. But I am strong, walking around. I felt nothing.”
After recovering from the infection, Win Win Yee, Thein’s granddaughter, said they are thankful everyone is safe and are now locked up inside their home in order not to be reinfected.
“We are still so scared of getting infected again,” she said. “That’s why we don’t go anywhere outside … We locked ourselves down.”
Screenshot via Newzee
There have already been a few reported cases of people being infected again after recovering from COVID-19, Agence France-Presse reported via Rappler.
In August, a man in Hong Kong became the world’s first documented case of COVID-19 reinfection after catching the virus a few months after his recovery, according to a published study.
A Japanese woman in Osaka reportedly was also possibly reinfected in February.
Featured Image via Newzee
Share this Article
© 2024 NextShark, Inc. All rights reserved.