A Chinese-Australian man living in Melbourne has been targeted by vandals who left his garage door defaced with racist graffiti related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The incident happened on Monday in Knoxfield when the vandals sprayed “COVID-19 China Die” on the family’s garage door, according to ABC Australia.
Then, the family was attacked again on Tuesday at around 2:30 a.m. by someone who threw a large rock at their window. Jackson, who did not disclose his last name, reported the two consecutive incidents to the police.
A man can be seen in the CCTV footage loitering outside Jackson’s home on Tuesday morning. A second clip captured a few minutes later, recorded a loud crash and the person was seen running through the driveway before climbing over a fence.
“I’m just scared. I’m busy buying CCTV systems, repairing glass and buying lamps,” Jackson said. “I’m afraid these people will come back tonight.”
The Chinese-Australian online neighborhood watch group SOS-AUS alerted its members to stay vigilant following the attack.
Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews condemned the vandalism as “awful behavior” in a press briefing on Wednesday.
“There’s no place in our Victorian community for that sort of conduct. It’s just evil,” he said. “At a time when we should be coming together and supporting each other, it needs to be called out for what it is. It’s just appalling, absolutely appalling. And it won’t help us save lives, it won’t help us save jobs, it’s not only the wrong thing to do, it’s just not smart either.”
“We need to be close, we’re all keeping our distance, and that’s very important, but we also need to acknowledge that we are in this together.”
This is appalling. The perpetrators are cowards and hopefully will be brought to justice. No family should have to put up with this. No racism is ever acceptable in our great multicultural nation https://t.co/i4rzfi1RQR
— Alan Tudge (@AlanTudgeMP) April 21, 2020
Acting Immigration Minister Alan Tudge also condemned the vandalism on Jackson’s property and called the incident “appalling.”
“This is appalling. The perpetrators are cowards and hopefully will be brought to justice,” Tudge wrote on Twitter. “No family should have to put up with this. No racism is ever acceptable in our great multicultural nation.”
The incident is the latest in a string of anti-Asian, coronavirus-related attacks in Australia. Earlier this month, a teenager from New South Wales was arrested for spitting on and threatening two Asian sisters with a knife.