Godzilla engages in an epic battle against Hedorah in Toho’s new short film released on Godzilla’s birthday.
Godzilla vs. Hedorah: To celebrate Godzilla Day and Godzilla Fest on Nov. 3, the iconic kaiju’s creator, Toho International, Inc., released a short film titled “Godzilla vs. Hedorah.”.
- The five-minute short film, directed by Kazuhiro Nakagawa and filmed at Toho Studios, celebrates the 50th anniversary of the 1971 Japanese kaiju film “Godzilla vs. Hedorah.”
- “Godzilla vs. Hedorah,” which comes after Nakagawa’s 2020 short film titled “Godzilla Appears at Godzilla Fest,” uses the same monster suits from the 2004 film “Godzilla: Final Wars.”
- A 4k remastered version of the classic 1954 film “Godzilla” also premiered at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema across the U.S. This marked 67 years since the appearance of Godzilla in Toho’s “Gojira.”
- In the short film, Hedorah, also known as the Smog Monster, feeds on a smokestack and releases toxic mist and sludge in the area around him. When Godzilla arrives, the two monsters go into battle. While Hedorah knocks Godzilla to the ground and covers him with mist, Godzilla manages to kick Hedorah into the power lines. As Godzilla regains his strength and Hedorah weakens from the electricity, Godzilla shoots his atomic breath to defeat the Smog Monster, allowing the giant amphibious reptilian monster to walk away the victor.
- Toho has also teamed up with Mondo, Super7, Kinokuniya and the Godzilla Shop to release new Godzilla-themed merchandise and collectibles.
- Toho’s official Godzilla YouTube Channel also features the 1978 “Godzilla” animated series and the “Godziban” puppet show.
Featured Image via Godzilla Channel ゴジラ（東宝特撮）チャンネル