One such dedicated trainer is Lexy Sipe. a 25-year-old Pokémon fan based in Oklahoma who tried to hack her way into faster egg-hatching but got an unexpected return instead.
“It was late, like around midnight, my cousin told me her egg hatched and she got a Pikachu, so I desperately wanted to hatch my egg,” she told Seventeen.
In Pokémon Go, hatching an egg means getting an extra Pokémon but it also requires a player to travel great distances by walking. Some may even reap greater benefits as hatching also allows players to acquire region-specific Pokémon.
“I was looking up ways to make the egg hatch faster, and one post was about duct taping the phone to the ceiling fan, and I [thought] – what a great idea. I was about to get in the shower so my thought was to keep my phone on the fan while I was in the shower and then take it down and that should be enough to hatch the egg,” Sipe said.
“I couldn’t find any tape, so I MacGyvered the phone to the fan using a pair of spandex leggings. After I got my phone ‘secured’ I turned the fan on and watched it spin (on high) for maybe 15 seconds (thinking what a genius I was) before the phone slipped out of the leggings and flew right into my forehead.”
Instead of hatching an egg, her forehead developed an “egg” of its own, which may probably remind her to play the game as it should be played.
In a Facebook photo uploaded on July 14, Sipe shared the image of her unfortunate lump on her forehead. She wrote on the caption:
“Don’t tie your phone to the ceiling fan to try and get your Pokemon eggs to hatch faster… My phone flew off and hit me right in the forehead…. Lesson learned..”
A few days later, she posted an update which revealed a bruise has emerged in place of the lump: “4 days after my Pokemon incident.. Healing great.”
There’s still no word on the Pikachu though.