Korean Student Harassed by Racist Man on Train in Southern France
By Ryan General
June 12, 2020
A Korean student on a train in Nice, France documented her own racial harassment from a French man on Saturday evening.
What happened: A Korean woman, who has been working and studying in France for nearly a year, encountered a racist passenger on June 6 at 9:30 p.m. CEST.
- The woman was riding the Nice Tram line 2 on her way home with her boyfriend when a passenger mistook her for being Chinese.
- The passenger started berating her with racial slurs and other insults.
- In the captured footage, the man said in French: “You Chinese eat dogs and cats,” and “The coronavirus came from your country.”
- In response, the woman called him out for being racist and urged him to stop but the man kept taunting her, calling her names and insulting her boyfriend as well.
- Shifting his attention to the boyfriend, he went on: “Are you her boyfriend? You have balls or not? Remove your mask! Nothing to say? You are a b***h. Don’t you talk?… You are a s**t.”
- After noticing he was being filmed, the man told her to put away her camera as it “will not change anything.”
- He then went on to continue with a barrage of slurs as other passengers looked on.
- “The disease came from your country,” he said. “You eat crazy things.”
- Eventually, a male passenger confronted the racist man and told him to stop harassing the couple.
- The clip ended with the racist passenger threatening the woman with violence while trying to stop her from filming.
- “You can film me. I am violent. I can even take your phone,” the man yelled at the Asian woman.
What’s behind the scenes: Since the global spread of COVID-19, there has been a significant uptick in racist attacks toward Asians around the world, including France. However, there are layers influencing the current tensions in the country that complicate race relations.
- Over the years, anger has been mounting within France’s Black communities over police violence, systemic racism and immigration issues.
- The recent death of George Floyd in the U.S. has also brought to memory the case of Adama Traore, a Black Frenchman who similarly died in police custody in July 2016.
- Following the U.S., protests have sprung all over France, with incidents of riots breaking out in some areas.
- In the first three months of this year, COVID-19 has plunged France into a recession as business closures and unemployment rose to unprecedented heights.
- French President Emmanuel Macron blasted the Chinese government’s lack of transparency in an interview with the Financial Times: “There are clearly things that have happened that we don’t know about.”
- The French media has also been criticizing the Chinese government and the way COVID-19 has spread around the globe.
- Le Figaro Magazine’s recent cover story “The Great Chinese Lie” featured an illustrated image of President Xi Jinping “wearing a surgical mask and wagging his finger.”
Feature Image via LilaLila 릴라릴라
Share this Article
Share this Article