An 80-year-old man who was attacked and robbed of his watch in San Leandro, Calif., earlier this month received a replacement from Fitbit on Tuesday.
The incident: The victim was attacked and robbed on Acapulco Road on May 8.
- Security footage shows two hooded suspects shoving the helpless man and taking his watch. A third suspect is seen walking to a getaway car.
- Two suspects, aged 11 and 17, were arrested on May 12. The 11-year-old allegedly has an “extensive criminal history.”
- The victim suffered from minor injuries and thinks he was targeted because he is Asian.
Outpouring of support: Fitbit decided to offer the replacement amid overwhelming public support for the elderly victim.
- On Tuesday, San Leandro Police Department detectives met with the victim and his son to hand over the new watch.
- “Because of the outpouring of support from community members and media coverage this crime garnered, Fitbit Inc. reached out and offered to replace the victim’s workout band,” police said.