An all-girl teen punk rock band called The Linda Lindas land a label deal following their viral performance of “Racist, Sexist Boy.”
Label deal: Epitaph Records recently signed them as its new artists, a representative from the company confirmed to Variety.
- The Linda Lindas made heads turn for their mini-concert at the Los Angeles Public Library (LAPL) earlier this month as part of the celebration for AAPI Heritage Month, where they performed their single, “Racist, Sexist Boy.”
- “A little while before we went into lockdown, a boy came up to me in my class and said that his dad told him to stay away from Chinese people,” Mila said, explaining the story behind the song. “After I told him that I was Chinese, he backed away from me. Eloise and I wrote this song based on that experience.”
- Their set at the LAPL also consisted of the single they wrote for Netflix’s “The Claudia Kishi Club,” a cover of Muff’s “Big Mouth” and Bikini Kill’s “Rebel Girl,” which they performed in the Netflix film, “Moxie.”
Who are The Linda Lindas: The all-girl punk rock band is made up of members Bela, Lucia, Eloise and Mila, whose ages range from 10 to 16 years old.
- The group describe themselves on their social media accounts as “Half Asian / Half Latinx. Sisters, cousins and friends who play music together because it’s fun.”
- The Linda Lindas started playing punk rock covers in 2018 and have opened for several bands, including Best Coast, Money Mark and Dils and Alley Cats. They were also requested by Bikini Kill’s Kathleen Hanna to open for them in 2019.
- Mila is the daughter of Grammy-winning producer-engineer Carlos de la Garza, who has previously worked with “Paramore, Cherry Glazerr, Best Coast and Bad Religion, whose guitarist Brett Gurewitz founded Epitaph.”
- Eloise’s father, Martin Wong, is the “co-founder and editor of Giant Robot magazine.”
Positive reception: The Linda Lindas’ “Racist, Sexist Boy” was well-received by many social media users, including Rage Against The Machine’s Tom Morello, who called the single the “song of the day.”
Song of the day! https://t.co/OotI1DcxWd
— Tom Morello (@tmorello) May 21, 2021
Where do I buy the album? 🔥🔥🔥🔥
— Charlotte Clymer 🏳️🌈 (@cmclymer) May 21, 2021
And they say Punk is dead!
Apparently, they forgot to tell these Righteous Punks! You ROCK Linda Lindas! 🤘
— Ross – Tolemac (@Tolemac) May 21, 2021
Love this. Do they know there was a Japanese girl punk band featured in a wonderful movie called Linda Linda Linda? I assume so, but just wanna put it out there. Also, I love that she is wearing a Bikini Kill t shirt!
— end hate radio (@EndHateRadio) May 21, 2021
This song has so much raw power, it’s hard to believe there’s not a single profanity in it. Freaking awesome!
— David Bowman (@redmond_bowman) May 21, 2021
I’m loving that they’ve tapped into the “I’m not taking your shit, man” vibe so young.
— Angelina says GFY GOP ✊🏿🇺🇲🏴🌈 (@MemphisBelle111) May 21, 2021
This is fucking punk rock, this is hardcore, this is exactly the spirit more people need to embrace with their own art. I’m so happy for these kids! Fuck it up, guys!
— DEADxMOUTH (on Twitch!) (@DEADxMOUTH) May 21, 2021
I love it! GREAT LYRICS!!! Powerful and easy for racist, sexist boys to understand. Meet them where they’re at – that’s where education starts. Very effective.
— Tracy Garratt, M.Sc. Ed (@MsTracyGarratt) May 22, 2021
Featured Image via LA Public Library