A dog owner from Thailand is going viral for all the wrong reasons after dying their Pomeranian’s ears to pink, which reportedly resulted in a severe allergic reaction that caused one of its ears to fall off.
The saddening incident happened on February 6, Wednesday, when an unnamed female pet owner decided to dye the ears of her Pomeranian dog, named Diffy, in neon pink using a 40-minute foil wrap process, according to Coconuts Bangkok.
Things did not go as well as planned however, when the dog started showing an allergic reaction to the chemicals in the dye that is specifically – and only – made for humans.
“There was too much dye on the dog’s ear,” she said. “It started as typical allergy symptoms like itchiness, burns to the skin, flakiness.”
Prior to the tragic incident, the pet owner posted a question on her Facebook page in relation to Diffy’s ears. She said that it usually points up, but it had started to droop after going through the 40-minute foil wrap process.
The store reportedly told the owner that things will “return to normal in 2 to 3 days.”
It did not return to normal, however. The pet owner, while tending to the dog one day, noticed that the scabs from the wound had fallen off along with Diffy’s actual ear.
Chemicals in the dye such as hydrogen peroxide and bleach are certainly few of the reasons why Diffy suffered allergic reactions. While this is entirely possible in the biological sense, it is still unclear what exactly caused the dog’s ear to fall off as there are many possible reasons according to a veterinarian working at Rama 8 Pet Hospital.
“The chemical could have burned the ear off, the salon could have done it too harshly, the dog could have developed a severe allergy to the dye. This could have been caused by a lot of reasons,” the doctor told Coconuts Bangkok.
Images via Facebook / Ampaipan Wachaporn