Disney’s New Christmas Ad Has Filipinos Everywhere Sobbing
By Ryan General
November 9, 2020
A touching new advertisement from Disney features a Filipino family celebrating Christmas traditions across generations.
Universal family love: The ad captures Filipino tradition and features themes that are universally recognizable.
- The ad opens with a father coming home to a household in the Philippines in the 1940s.
- He is greeted by his young daughter and gives her a Mickey Mouse plush toy.
- The following scene transports the viewer to 2005, in which the young girl is now a lola (Filipino for grandmother) living in the United Kingdom.
- The grandma is shown making Christmas lanterns with her apo (granddaughter).
- As her apo’s interest in making the lanterns wane over the years, their interaction becomes less and less.
- In a later scene, the girl is shown as a young adult, giving her lola a kiss and then rushing to go out.
- The clip ends with a surprise that will leave you wanting to give your own grandmother a hug.
- The video is accompanied by a heartrending charity track called “Love Is A Compass,” performed by 19-year-old Jamaican-Chinese singer Griff.
A campaign for positivity: Released by Disney UK and Disney Ireland on Monday, the ad was created as part of Disney EMEA’s “From Our Family To Yours” campaign, reported Rappler.
- The campaign, which has been unveiled on several Disney social media pages, is set to air on Disney’s channels in EMEA (Europe, the Middle East and Africa) as well as in Australia, New Zealand, North America and some parts of Asia, according to Disney EMEA.
- 100% of the proceeds of every download of the “Love Is A Compass” from Nov. 9 to Dec. 31 will be donated to Make-A-Wish organizations.
- Disney is also encouraging fans to share their own past and present festive memories using #LoveFromDisney.
- The company will donate $1 to Make-A-Wish for up to $100,000 for each memory shared.
- The real-life version of the Mickey plush featured in the ad will also be available for sale, with proceeds to be donated to Make-A-Wish.
Feature Image via Disney
Share this Article
Share this Article