Netflix’s “Daredevil” actor Peter Shinkoda alleged that the pay he received playing crime boss Nobu Yoshioka was ridiculously low.
Less than what extras make: Shinkoda took to Twitter to break down how much he reportedly earned while starring in nine episodes across two seasons of the popular superhero series, according to CBR.
- “When I was offered [Daredevil] at $3,500/per ep as a local hire – I did the math. So I take $1,600 and change after commission and taxes…per ep. Some eps I worked 8 days on = $200/day. Less than extras!” the Japanese-Canadian actor wrote in a tweet that he has since deleted.
- Casting directors had reportedly told him there wasn’t any money in the acting and he would make more going to comic book conventions.
- Shinkoda recalled better experiences in show business in the late 90s when he worked in editing and post-production at Warner Bros. Pictures.
- He noted that he faced hardships only after transitioning to acting. “Shit got bad when I segued 2 acting…while being Asian.”
Take the money: Shinkoda’s post drew an assortment of feedback from Twitter users, including one advising him to “Take the money where you can get it.”
- Surprised with the response, Shinkoda explained that he even paid for all expenses during “Daredevil” shoots, including his work permit, travel, room and board.
- Shinkoda further noted the discrepancy in treatment he received compared to his co-stars.
- Another user who found the mistreatment and unequal pay on Shinkoda unjustified asked: “What was your agent doing? How is that even a union rate?”
- According to Shinkoda, his agents tried hard to negotiate for better pay but were turned down.
- They were told, “We’re overpaying with this rate! Scale for new media is much less.”
- “I made ten times more on Falling Skies… per ep,” Shinkoda revealed. “That aired on Sunday nights in summertime in…some countries.”
- Shinkoda starred as Dai in TNT’s 2011 science fiction series “Falling Skies.”
Loeb allegedly said, “Nobody cares about Chinese people and Asian people,”
Shinkoda recalled, according to Deadline