NextSharkNextShark.com
Latest Newsletter🍵 Google boss’ groping scandalRead

Article

CNN points out real-time Chinese censorship of their live coverage of Peng Shuai’s disappearance

CNN Coverage of Peng Shuai
CNN Coverage of Peng Shuai

    Asian America Daily - in under 5 minutes

    Get our collection of Asian America's most essential stories, to your inbox daily, for free!

    Unsure? Check out our Newsletter Archive

    A live discussion on CNN about the mysterious disappearance and reappearance of tennis star Peng Shuai was recently censored in China.

    What happened: CNN’s “New Day” had its live feed in China blocked with colored bars during a segment discussing what happened to Peng, 35, according to Fox News.

    • CNN anchor John Berman explained to CNN International correspondent Will Ripley, who was reporting live in Taiwan at the time, about what happened to their live feed in China when they started talking about Peng.
    • After Berman asked what was going on, Ripley replied: “Chinese censors, John. I have lost count over the last eight years here in Asia covering China of how many times CNN’s coverage of controversial issues has been censored. It used to go to straight black. Now they’ve upgraded and they go to color bars.
    • Ripley then pointed out that what happened to their live feed in China was a “real-time example” of how Chinese censorship operates. He also mentioned how censorship removed Peng from the internet and that the Chinese government has an army of censors to prevent local and international networks from discussing the topic.   That effort, Ripley added, “is not making the story go away.”
    • The pressure is still mounting on Beijing from the outside because of the efforts of journalists around the world and also diplomats wanting Peng Shuai to be able to speak her truth.” Ripley said.

    Recent developments: Peng recently made an appearance during a private video call with IOC officials on Sunday. She was first reported missing from the public’s eye on Nov. 2 after accusing former vice-premier Zhang Gaoli of sexual coercion on Weibo.

    • Pictures and videos of the former Wimbledon player also began circulating on Chinese social media and Twitter over the weekend. Peng’s first public appearance since her disappearance was at a tennis event for teenagers on Sunday, NextShark previously reported.
    • At a press briefing on Tuesday, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said the issue is not “a diplomatic matter.”
    • I believe everyone will have seen she has recently attended some public activities and also held a video call with IOC president Bach,” Zhao said. “I hope certain people will cease malicious hyping, let alone politicization.”

    Featured Image via @JohnBerman

    Support our Journalism with a Contribution

    Many people might not know this, but despite our large and loyal following which we are immensely grateful for, NextShark is still a small bootstrapped startup that runs on no outside funding or loans.

    Everything you see today is built on the backs of warriors who have sacrificed opportunities to help give Asians all over the world a bigger voice.

    However, we still face many trials and tribulations in our industry, from figuring out the most sustainable business model for independent media companies to facing the current COVID-19 pandemic decimating advertising revenues across the board.

    We hope you consider making a contribution so we can continue to provide you with quality content that informs, educates and inspires the Asian community. Even a $1 contribution goes a long way.  Thank you for everyone's support. We love you all and can't appreciate you guys enough.

    Support NextShark

    Mastercard, Visa, Amex, Discover, Paypal