Coldplay singer Chris Martin surprised talk show host and fellow singer Kelly Clarkson today when he sang in Korean while performing an acoustic version of the new Coldplay and BTS collaborative single “My Universe” on her talk show.
“You are my universe”: Martin, 44, went on the “Kelly Clarkson Show” to discuss and solo-perform the song his band did with the K-pop superstar group BTS on the same day that the song was pre-released, Sept. 24.
- In his performance, Martin sang not only his parts but also the Korean-language verses sung by the members of BTS.
- When he started to sing in Korean, he smiled brightly, and Clarkson looked at him seemingly surprised by his attempt. She says later in encouragement, “Go ahead.”
- He also sang in Korean in a solo performance at the Apollo Theater in Harlem earlier in the day, according to Meaww.
- The collaboration was teased earlier this month by both BTS’ and Coldplay’s respective TikTok pages.
- Coldplay traveled to South Korea to record the song with the K-pop group.
- Before collaborating with Coldplay, BTS member Kim Taehyung, also popularly known as V, had expressed admiration for the popular British rock band, the South China Morning Post reported.
- The single is going to be a part of Coldplay’s upcoming album “Music of the Spheres,” which will be released Oct. 15.
“I meet you with a smile”: Fans of both Coldplay and BTS were shocked and excited to see the singer make an attempt to sing in a language that he wasn’t familiar with.
It looked like Chris almost tried to rap Yoongi’s part😂But he did sing Kookie’s Korean verse!!! Love that. Thanks for sharing this video with Army!💜💜💜
— Violet ⁷💜 (@BabyMochiOT7) September 24, 2021
— Orion 🐙💜 (@LoveMyTear1) September 24, 2021
Chris Martin even sang in Korean?????? oh god I’m gaining so much respect and love for this man!!!!!!pic.twitter.com/mSURdGgSym
— rejoice⁷🌌#MyUniverse (@dionysope_) September 24, 2021
Tell me who is doing more to spread the Korean language and culture. I say this a lot but @BTS_twt is the greatest cultural ambassador Korea has ever had. Because never would I have imagined that @coldplay’s Chris Martin learning to sing in KOREAN ON AMERICAN TV. 😭💜🐙🇰🇷 pic.twitter.com/rzblzLhFRO
— bora 🍃 (slow) (@modooborahae) September 24, 2021
— BTS Quotes Archive⁷ 🐙💜 (@btsqtsarchive) September 24, 2021
COLDPLAY SINGING IN KOREAN IS THE BEST THING EVER pic.twitter.com/kqAwL5GXpw
— Nyamjoon⁷ ~ (@nyasliife) September 24, 2021
trying to process that there’s a KOREAN RAP IN A COLDPLAY SONGGGGGGG pic.twitter.com/jbRdpre2HH
— georgia 🐙💜 (@jonnybuckIand) September 24, 2021
Featured Image via The Kelly Clarkson Show