A woman visiting Ruili City, China, fainted in shock after she dropped a jade bracelet worth 300,000 yuan ($44,120.24) at a market and broke it.
The unidentified tourist was trying on the pricey jade bracelet at a shop in southwestern Yunnan province, but it accidentally slipped out of her hand after she took it off and it snapped in two pieces on the floor, the Daily Mail reported.
Video footage shows the exact moment the woman collapsed when she found out the astronomical price tag of the bracelet.
One bystander can be seen applying pressure to her upper lip, a traditional Chinese method of waking somebody up back to consciousness, according to Shanghaiist.
“She fainted because of the shock, but fortunately she is fine after having emergency treatment in hospital,” said Lin Wei, one of the shop’s owners, according to the South China Morning Post.
Witnesses said that the owner of the jewelry store was offered 70,000 ($10,294.72) in damages by the woman’s family members, but he turned them down claiming the payment was not enough.
While the owner told the woman that the bracelet cost 300,000 yuan ($44,120.24), an independent expert reportedly estimated the price to be around 180,000 yuan ($26,472.14), which the family agreed to pay.
Jade is considered a product of luxury in Chinese culture, symbolizing a long and healthy life.