Chinese Officials Arrest North Korean Assassins Allegedly Out to Kill Kim Jong-Un’s Nephew

Two of the seven North Korean assassins who are involved in the alleged plot to take out Kim Jong-Nam’s son, Kim Han Sol, were arrested by Chinese officials in Beijing, China, South Korean newspaper JoongAng Ilbo reported on Monday.

The alleged assassination plot was prevented after Chinese authorities reportedly increased its security during China’s 19th National Congress of the Communist Party, which ran for one week starting from Oct. 18, according to Fox News.

Special operatives belonging to the North’s reconnaissance squad have penetrated to remove Kim Han Sol, but some of them were arrested last week by the Chinese Ministry of National Security and are currently under investigation at special facilities outside Beijing,” an unnamed source told JoongAng Ilbo.

The team that was sent out to assassinate Kim Han Sol consists of an action unit, a support group and a unit that specializes in locating Kim’s whereabouts as well as interfering in any pursuits, The Telegraph reported.

Han Sol went into hiding with his mother and younger sister, reportedly aided by an organization called the Cheollima Civil Defense shortly after his father’s assassination. He surfaced in March 2017 in a YouTube video.

I’m currently with my mother and sister. We hope this gets better soon,” he said.

The Cheollima Civil Defense said that it responded in February to “an emergency request by survivors of the family of Kim Jong-Nam for extraction and protection.

“The three family members were met quickly and relocated to safety,” the group continued, adding thanks to the governments of China, the Netherlands, the U.S. and “a fourth government to remain unnamed.”

Kim Jong-Nam was killed in February by what is believed to be two assassins sent out by the North Korean government. According to reports, Kim Jong Un’s half brother was taken out using the banned VX nerve agent that was smeared on his face by two women, a Vietnamese and an Indonesian, at Kuala Lumpur airport in Malaysia.

Since their arrest, the pair, who are currently on trial in Malaysia for the death of Kim Jong-Nam, told police they were tricked by two men into thinking they were taking part in a prank for a TV show.

There’s no official word yet regarding the few remaining members of the North Korean assassin unit.

Featured Image via YouTube / Cheollima Civil Defense

Support our Journalism with a Contribution

Many people might not know this, but despite our large and loyal following which we are immensely grateful for, NextShark is still a small bootstrapped startup that runs on no outside funding or loans.

Everything you see today is built on the backs of warriors who have sacrificed opportunities to help give Asians all over the world a bigger voice.

However, we still face many trials and tribulations in our industry, from figuring out the most sustainable business model for independent media companies to facing the current COVID-19 pandemic decimating advertising revenues across the board.

We hope you consider making a contribution so we can continue to provide you with quality content that informs, educates and inspires the Asian community. Even a $1 contribution goes a long way. Thank you for everyone’s support. We love you all and can’t appreciate you guys enough.

NextShark is a leading source covering Asian American News and Asian News including business, culture, entertainment, politics, tech and lifestyle.

For advertising and inquiries: info@nextshark.com