- A man in China is suing his ex-stepson for 35,200 yuan (approximately $5,285) after his stepfather paid for his tuition and living expenses during college.
- The man filed a lawsuit in March and said the money was used towards his former stepson’s four-year university tuition as well as clothes and food.
- The man married the boy’s mother in 2009 before they divorced in 2021.
- The stepfather pursued legal action against his stepson after the divorce.
- A local court in Chongqing denied the lawsuit and ruled the money was used voluntarily.
A man in China wants his former stepson to pay 35,200 yuan (approximately $5,285) for raising him after separating from his ex-wife last year.
The man, surnamed Tang, from Sichuan Province, filed a lawsuit against his ex-stepson, surnamed Liu, in March to recuperate money he spent supporting him during four years of college. Tang said the money includes university tuition as well as food and clothes.
Tang married Liu’s mother in 2009 and helped raise him until September 2021 when she filed for a divorce. Three months after the separation, Tang pursued legal action against his former stepson to get the money he spent on Liu back.
A local court in Chongqing, however, denied Tang’s request and ruled that the money was spent voluntarily.
The judge told the Chinese online news site Jiupai News: “Tang chose to support Liu, despite knowing he didn’t have a legal responsibility to pay for his university study as Liu had reached 18 years of age. In China, children are legally adults once 18, and parents are no longer expected to cover their living expenses.”
The judge also said that Liu is still responsible for taking care of his former stepfather even after the divorce and reassured Tang that he may seek compensation if required.
Featured Image via Pexels