“China Captain,” a new film released on the Tencent Video streaming platform, is receiving heavy criticism from social media users for being too similar to Marvel’s “Avengers.”
“China Captain” features different Chinese mythical figures, including Monkey King
, monk Ji Gong and the late martial arts superstar Bruce Lee, according to Straits Times
- The film follows the story of China Captain as he struggles with alcoholism and finds himself in a difficult spot after tourists begin to take over his job as a hero, Mothership noted.
- While some characters perform martial arts, others possess supernatural powers.
- Justice Bao from the Song Dynasty shoots lightning bolts from his forehead and Guan Yu from the Three Kingdoms period has the ability to fire lasers.
- Directed by He Yizheng, “Captain China” cast relatively unknown actors from Chinese films, including Zheng Xiaofu, Li Taiyan and Du Qiao.
The criticism: Some social media users said the movie was so bad they had to stop the stream.
- Others pointed out how the movie ripped off the iconic comic book pages flipping at the beginning of a Marvel movie for the intro to “China Captain.”
- The film received a 7.7 review rating on Tencent Video even though many criticized “Captain China’s” weak story and poor special effects.