Jewish Chinese American artist, activist, actor and model Chella Man is celebrating another milestone as the first transmasculine face of YSL Beauty.
Celebrating scars: In a campaign video for the brand, the 22-year-old deaf, genderqueer artist celebrates his scars from gender confirmation surgery. He says, “My scars are radiant, they show where I’ve been.”
- Man explains that he goes through “intense gender dysphoria.”
- “My mind didn’t connect to my body,” he says in the video. “Top surgery allowed me to make my body a home, and my scars will always remind me of this liberation.”
- Man says he expresses himself through art and adds that his scars make him who he is.
- “They’re a privilege to bear,” he concludes in the video. “My scars are my signature.”
Who he is:
Man came into the spotlight on YouTube
in 2017, sharing his transition and struggles with gender dysphoria.
- He then became active in and fought for deaf communities and signed with IMG Models, according to Out.
- He landed his first acting role as Jericho in “Titans” in 2019.
The YSL Beauty campaign also features other young influencers such as Rickey Thompson, Brynne Rosetta, Tatiana Rigsby and more.