- The incident, which was caught on video obtained by NextShark, occurred around 11 a.m. on Tuesday.
- The customer, who was seen holding a Bible, reportedly wanted to buy tobacco with the 51 cents that he had.
- He allegedly grew irate after store owner Joyce Sung explained that his money was not enough.
- As a result, the customer destroyed the sheet of plexiglass while screaming, “You Chinese motherf**kers are going to hell!”
- A piece of glass hit Sung in the face and scratched her under the eye, but she was not seriously injured.
A daily dose of Asian America's essential stories, in under 5 minutes.
Get our collection of Asian America's most essential stories to your inbox daily for free.
Unsure? Check out our Newsletter Archive.
- On March 30, the store was trashed by a man who yelled anti-Asian slurs while the suspect’s friend allegedly returned to sexually harass Sung.
- Last year, Sung’s husband was reportedly hospitalized twice after being assaulted by robbers.
- The owners’ son, Mark, said the store gets trashed at least once a year and each incident costs them $5,000-$9,000.
- The owners’ nephew, Patrick, told NextShark that such incidents do not seem to wane despite the presence of security.
- “I’m not sure how much more they can handle and it kills me knowing it’s their only option for a living,” Patrick said.