South Korean mega group BTS and their label, BigHit, released the first issue of Weverse Magazine where they highlight stories, including COVID-19 related racism they encountered while visiting the U.S. earlier this year.
What happened: A racist comment made towards BTS on SiriusXM’s “The Howard Stern Show” in New York on Feb. 21 did not come to light until three days later, according to the Weverse Magazine issue.
Weverse Magazine is spilling some tea…..
— Noiz ☣️ ✙✶-✜ (@Noiz003) September 21, 2020
- Host Howard Stern was talking about the COVID-19 pandemic at the time when writer Salvatore “Sal” Governale made a comment claiming BTS was carrying the virus, NBC News reported in February.
- “BTS is from Korea and Sal was freaking out,” the 66-year-old radio personality said on the episode. “BTS was here at Sirius on Friday and Sal was saying, ‘There’s no way those guys don’t have the coronavirus.’ He was like every a**hole.”
- Gary Dell’Abate, the producer of the show, also weighed in on the issue and said, “Every celebrity who walks through the SiriusXM door is traveling all over the world — not just Asians.”
- “I walked into the lobby and it was like Chinatown, out of control, there were so many Asian people,” Governale said on air, doubling down on his previous statement. “These people are traveling, they’re not locals, they’re going from country to country to country. It’s a dangerous situation. You got to look at it that way — they’re on airplanes; they’re in hotels.”
- “I got so many emails about what an idiot you are for avoiding a Korean boy band,” Stern, a well-known germaphobe, said. “I’m super paranoid about diseases and germs, but you came off as racist.”
People’s reaction: Many people took to social media to call out “The Howard Stern Show” and SiriusXM after the issue was brought back to the spotlight.
— Brian Patrick Byrne⁷ (@bybrianbyrne) September 22, 2020
Oh damn, weverse mag went deep and pointed out the cruel, unwarranted racism BTS and many other Asian people receive cos of Cvid19 pic.twitter.com/eMxKVgiPcX
— Aurelia⁷ ⟭⟬ (@AureliaOT7) September 21, 2020
I can’t concentrate on my paper because i keep thinking about the Weverse Magazine. Some parts really warmed me and some parts really hurt. Fuck.
I’m proud that BTS actually called out on racism and discrimination towards Asians, which has gotten worse during this pandemic.
— durianjuice⁷ (@durianjuicyyy) September 21, 2020
the weverse magazine showed us a man by the name of sal governale saying racist remarks towards bts and people are seriously more worried about the damn [email protected] awards? no award is that important for us to stay quite about racism!
— mena⁷♡ (@admiresyooongi) September 21, 2020
I want to go on record to say I’m glad that Weverse Magazine touched on the topic of racism towards BTS by affiliates of the Howard Stern Show @SIRIUSXM, specifically naming Sal Governale. We should all use our voices to denounce this type of racism towards BTS and Asians. (…) pic.twitter.com/cJX1zWuyIK
— Seven Heaven⁷ ⛰ (@BTSsevenheaven) September 21, 2020
After you read the weverse magazine you will come to know that BTS also faced racism and they knew about the racist.There’s some reason armys that we don’t know what’s happening inside bighit and bts!!!LET’S BE THIER VOICE ARMYS!!LET’S FIGHT FOR THEM!!!! pic.twitter.com/dosevU4Xk8
— BTS_⁷ (@stan_augustd) September 21, 2020
Featured Image Screenshot via SiriusXM