K-pop Weekly took a hiatus last week with respect to the tragic incident in Itaewon. This week, there has been a slow but steady stream of new music releases from the likes of AleXa, OH MY GIRL member YooA, SEVENTEEN and more.
Additionally, fans can soon expect new music from an all-star lineup of artists, as comeback announcements were plentiful. Meanwhile, SPIRE Entertainment’s CEO finally resigned, but new reports indicate the company is continuing to spiral further into scandal.
Nov. 6, Sunday
As a pre-release for her upcoming mini-album “Selfish,” OH MY GIRL member YooA double-dropped music videos for the B-sides “Lay Low” and “Melody.” Both videos were shot in Spain. The songs will be available on digital streaming platforms when the album comes out on Nov. 14.
Girl group NATURE are back but in “Limbo” in their latest comeback music video. The song serves as the title track of the act’s fourth mini-album “Nature World: Code W.” Their last release was in January with the music video “RICARICA.”
Nov. 7, Monday
Veteran K-pop boy band Highlight, formerly known as BEAST, released their new album “AFTER SUNSET,” led by the title track “Alone.” The album coincides with the group’s recent 13th anniversary. Member Lee Gikwang co-wrote and co-composed three songs for it “S.I.L.Y. (Say I Love You),” “PRIVACY” and “I Don’t Miss You.” It is also the first new release for the group as a quartet following rapper Jun-Hyung’s exit after he became tangled in the Burning Sun scandal.
Ballad soloist Baek Z Young kept up with her literal track record of K-drama original soundtrack (OST) contributions, this time with the song “Waiting For You” for the drama “CURTAIN CALL.
Nov. 9, Wednesday
ASTRO member and actor Cha Eun-Woo shared an OST single titled “Love Sailing” from his forthcoming movie “Decibel,” which will be his motion picture debut. While the song is a ballad, the film is more action-packed as it centers around characters attempting to prevent a terrorist attack.
Nov. 10, Thursday
SEVENTEEN have added a Japanese debut album to their discography. Released ahead of their concert performances in Japan, their new EP “DREAM” is led by the title track of the same name. Member Woozi co-wrote and co-composed every track on the EP with assistance from members Vernon, Joshua and Seung-kwan for some numbers.
YG Entertainment’s TREASURE became a trinity as members Choi Hyun-Suk, Yoshi and Haruto released a music video for the track “VolKno,” a subunit B-side from the group’s album “THE SECOND STEP: CHAPTER TWO.” The trio all co-penned and co-composed “VolKno.” In related group news, the act will continue as 10 members following the departure of members Mashiho and Bang Ye-dam.
Nov. 11, Friday
JYP Entertainment’s rock band Xdinary Heroes dropped their seven-track album “Overload,” led by the title track “Hair Cut.” Every member — Gunil, Jungsu, Gaon, O.de, Jun Han and Joo-yeon — had a hand in either co-writing or co-composing the album in some capacity.
K-pop soloist AleXa is back — ”Back in Vogue,” that is, which is the title track of her new album “Girls Gone Vogue.” One of the B-sides, “Star,” features MAMAMOO member Moonbyul. AleXa co-wrote and co-composed a couple of numbers from the new album, including “Black Out” and “Please Try Again.” Last month, she recently wrapped up her U.S. tour.
Other K-pop news:
- BTS leader RM announced the title of his forthcoming solo album, “Indigo.”
- K-pop icon BoA will return with a new album titled “Forgive Me” on Nov. 22, marking her latest comeback in two years.
- ITZY shows no signs of slowing down following the announcement of another mini-album titled “Cheshire,” due out on Nov. 30.
- NewJeans will make their first comeback on Jan. 2 with the single “OMG.”
- TXT is slated to release a new album in January.
- Kang Daniel will release a repackage album titled “The Story: Repackage RETOLD” on Nov. 24.
- SHINee’s Minho will be the final group member to make his solo debut. His solo album will be released in December.
- Korean American rapper pH-1 announced the North American leg of his world tour, “About Damn Time.”
- The upcoming MAMA Awards will no longer count Twitter votes. The announced lineup of performers can be found here.
- Police have confirmed a former employee of South Korea’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs attempted to sell a hat belonging to BTS’ Jungkook.
- Stray Kids have announced an additional Los Angeles tour stop in March. This will be their first-ever U.S. stadium show at the Banc of California stadium.
- Soloist Hyolyn appeared as a guest on Eric Nam’s DAEBAK SHOW from Dive Studios.
- EVERGLOW’s Yiren is finally back in Korea after a 10-month hiatus.
- Omega X’s CEO has resigned, but new reports reveal other instances of alleged mismanagement, such as forcing the boy band to perform despite having COVID-19.