K-pop superstar group BTS continues to dominate the global music industry with their hit song “Butter,” finishing at the top of Billboard’s Songs of the Summer Chart, just days after the band was inducted into the Guinness World Records’ Hall of Fame.
Topping the charts: The Songs of the Summer Chart tracks the performance of popular songs based on “weekly streaming-, airplay- and sales-based Billboard Hot 100 from Memorial Day through Labor Day,” according to Billboard.
- “Butter,” the Hot 100’s 10-week no.1, took the top spot, with “Good 4 U” by Filipino American singer Olivia Rodrigo trailing behind in second.
- BTS’ song led the top of the chart all summer-long — the first to command an entire season since Lil Nas X’s 2019 hit “Old Town Road.”
- BTS is also the first duo or group in 10 years to earn the top spot, after electronic music group LMFAO’s “Party Rock Anthem” in 2011.
- “Butter” broke records earlier in the summer when its debut landed the top spot on the Billboard Global 200 chart and the Billboard Hot 100 songs chart, NextShark previously reported.
THE BOYS ARE IN THE BOOK 🙌
After breaking countless records throughout 2021, they have also cemented their place in the Guinness World Records Hall of Fame 👇
— Guinness World Records (@GWR) September 1, 2021
World records: The Billboard record comes after the news that the group, which holds 23 world records in music and social media, made it into the Guinness World Records’ Hall of Fame, the institution officially announced on Sept. 2.
- Some of the titles, which are all in connection to “Butter,” include: “Most viewers for the premiere of a music video on YouTube” at 3.9 million, “Most viewed YouTube music video in 24 hours” at 108.2 million and “Most streamed track on Spotify in the first 24 hours” at 11.04 million.
- The group is also the most streamed act on Spotify at 16.3 billion streams.
ARMY records: More records were set over the weekend after a “bored” BTS fan hosted a virtual screaming concert on Twitter with 60,000 people in attendance — the most number of listeners gathered on Twitter Space, reported IB Times. Twitter Space allows users on the platform to have live audio conversations with each other.
- User @Carrotbunk00 who calls herself “Yoongi’s gf” started the Twitter Space #btsbutimscreamingthelyrics to scream the lyrics of BTS songs in front of an audience.
- More fans joined in, until they set the new record above the previously held highest number of listeners at 50,000.
— Taebliss⁷ (@btswallpxpers_) September 6, 2021
Featured Image via HYBE LABELS