- A 12-year-old boy in China spent the donation money meant for his critically ill father’s cancer treatment on mobile games.
- He allegedly spent 3,800 yuan (approximately $556) in July on a game platform called Xiaomi Game Center.
- The incident occurred while the boy was visiting his father in the hospital and used his phone.
- The boy’s father reportedly suffered from late-stage brain cancer and died in July.
- The boy and his brother were placed in an orphanage after their father’s death.
Money that was donated by relatives for a critically ill man’s cancer treatment was allegedly spent by the man’s 12-year-old son on mobile games.
The boy, surnamed Huang, from Fushun County in Sichuan province of southwestern China, reportedly spent 3,800 yuan (approximately $556) of the donation money on mobile games in July.
The incident occurred when Huang visited his father in the hospital and used his phone. Relatives realized the money they had donated was gone when a relative tried to pay for the medical bills following his death.
The boy reportedly spent the money on Xiaomi Game Center, a mobile game platform.
Huang’s uncle requested a refund from Xiaomi; however, the company did not initially believe his story. After a journalist made inquiries and the company conducted a background check, the money was fully refunded to the family.
The uncle stated that the money will be saved to support Huang and his brother in the future.
The 12-year-old expressed guilt for his actions and apologized.
“I feel sorry for my father and sorry for those relatives who helped my father,” the boy said per South China Morning Post.
Huang’s father, Huang Zhengxiang, was reportedly suffering from late-stage brain cancer and died at the end of July. His wife had died in an accident 10 years prior, and Huang’s father was the family’s only financial supporter, working in construction before falling ill in June.
He is survived by his two sons, aged 12 and 15, who were placed in an orphanage following their father’s death.
Featured Image via Onur Binay