Erick Peralta, one of three suspects who are accused of murdering an Asian couple inside their home in Texas in 2018, has been released from prison after posting bond.
Out of prison: Richard Lam, the son of victims Bao and Jenny Lam, told ABC13 he was at a loss for words when he learned Peralta, 24, had posted a $350,000 bond on Friday. The suspect is expected to return to court in October for his pretrial motion.
- The Harris County District Attorney’s office said in a statement, according to Click2Houston: “Our prosecutor agreed with a defense-generated request asking the judge to set a $350,000 bond, as that is a hefty sum, and an appropriate amount, when coupled with an array of public safety conditions we requested, such as 24 hours a day house arrest and requiring the defendant to wear a GPS monitor to track his movements.”
- If the defendant breaks any conditions mentioned, the “state will immediately ask that the judge order him back into custody,” the statement continued.
- The court also set the same amount of bond for the two other suspects, Aakiel Kendrick and Khari Kendrick. However, Richard expressed that he does not believe the bond for the suspects was enough.
- Aakiel and Khari Kendrick are still behind bars. Their trials will begin in December.
What happened: The Lams were found bound and shot inside their home in Spring, Texas, on Jan. 11, 2018. Authorities believe the Asian couple was ambushed inside their garage by the three suspects, who waited for them to return home.
- Kendricks and Peralta allegedly tied the couple’s hands and feet and shot them execution-style. The suspects also took the Lams’ firearms and other personal belongings.
- Their bodies were only found after their son, Richard, called the police for a wellness check days after the gruesome murder due to not hearing from them while he was on a cruise. “When we docked in, I started calling. The phone was going straight to voicemail,” Richard said at the time. “As soon as I arrived, I knew something was wrong because there were doors open through the house when I was peeking through the windows.”