- In an interview with NBC’s Investigative Unit, 23-year-old UC Berkeley student Alex Yang shared that his mother met the renter, a woman named Baiting Jiang online.
- Needing help to pay her mortgage, the single mother of two agreed to let Jiang rent a room in their home.
- At the time, Yang was finishing his last year at the university so it was only his mom and his 12-year-old sister who lived under the same roof as Jiang.
- It soon became apparent that renting the room to Jiang was not a good idea.
- The issues were initially strange visitors coming over but things escalated into verbal arguments with both sides eventually accusing each other of harassment.
- Jiang allegedly flooded a bathroom intentionally, resulting in thousands of dollars in water damage.
- When the family’s lawyer served Jiang a 30-day notice to vacate the house, she reportedly ignored the notice and responded with threats.
- The family tried to get the police involved multiple times, but the authorities allegedly dismissed their complaints as “a civil issue” which meant they could not interfere.
A daily dose of Asian America's essential stories, in under 5 minutes.
Get our collection of Asian America's most essential stories to your inbox daily for free.
Unsure? Check out our Newsletter Archive.
- This fighting between the family and Jiang continued, eventually prompting a judge to grant restraining orders against both Jiang and the homeowner.
- In the past three months, local authorities responded to the home 31 times.
- Concerned with their mental health and safety, the family was left with no other choice but to vacate their own house.
- They ended up leaving their house and paying for a small room elsewhere, with Yang forced to sleep in his car across the street.
- Jiang, who hasn’t paid rent money for months, chose to stay.
- Yang said the family was relieved upon receiving the news from their lawyer that they could finally reclaim their home.
- However, they expressed their concerns that Jiang would victimize another family.
- The family intends to pursue legal action against Jiang to demand compensation in legal costs and property damages.