A new comedy movie on Netflix is set to feature Golden Globe-winning stars Sandra Oh and Awkwafina.
Dream casting: The “Killing Eve” star and “The Farewell” actress have recently been cast to play sisters in the still-untitled project, reports Variety.
- The movie marks the first time the two stars will appear together on screen.
- Will Ferrell and Jessica Elbaum of Gloria Sanchez Productions will produce the upcoming film alongside Jen D’Angelo, who also wrote the script.
- Awkwafina and Oh will also share producer credits, as well as Itay Reiss and Maggie Haskins from Artists First, Deadline reported.
- In the film, Oh plays a loner character whose sister (Awkwafina) tries to help her fulfill a dream of joining a game show in a bid to fix their relationship.
A pair to watch: The two actresses have expressed mutual respect and admiration for each other in the past, noted E! Online.
- Last year, Oh wrote a glowing tribute to Awkwafina when she was honored on the 2019 TIME 100 Next list.
- “I cannot express how pleased I am to see her meteoric rise,” she shared. “I’m not surprised because she is a complete original. There are so many things I can point to: Her timing. Her beautiful, melancholic face. And her unforgettable voice.”
- Meanwhile, Awkwafina wrote a touching tweet last year when it was revealed that Oh would host Saturday Night Live.
- “11 yr old me woulda stood in the rain outside 30 rock for this too,” Awkwafina wrote in response to the news. “Queen Sandra Oh !!”
- Another upcoming project for Oh is Paramount’s anticipated “Tiger’s Apprentice,” while Awkwafina has a major role in the“Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” a film from the Marvel Cinematic Universe.