A daily dose of Asian America's essential stories, in under 5 minutes.
Get our collection of Asian America's most essential stories to your inbox daily for free.
Unsure? Check out our Newsletter Archive.
- This win marks South Korea’s second Olympic team with a gold medal. The South Korean archery team has won three gold medals.
- The “Avengers” nickname comes from their “superior speed and deft footwork” in addition to how they worked together to win two world titles and an Asian Games gold medal in the last four years, according to The Korea Herald.
- The “Avengers” won 45-26 against Italy on July 28.
- Kim Jung-hwan is the first fencer from Asia with four fencing medals.
- “We basically sacrifice our freedom and put everything into the training and that is the reason we could make the gold,” he told ESPN.
- He is also sad because he got married last year but has not been able to enjoy married life and has not seen his wife for four months.