Maribyrnong, Australia, has elected its newest and youngest-ever mayor on Tuesday.
History in the making: Anthony Tran, 22, formally accepted the mayorship in both Vietnamese and English on the same day.
- Tran acknowledged the influence of his family and friends and thanked his elders’ generation for their sacrifices.
- “This is the highlight of my short life and an honor to be given this responsibility,” he said.
- He said he hopes his election will inspire other young people of color to “step up” and make a difference in the world.
- Tran said he hopes to improve local infrastructure and promote community safety, according to a press release.
- Tran served on the city council as a representative of River Ward over the past year.
- He promised to lead the COVID-19 rebuild and “Bounce Maribyrnong Back” during his campaign.
- Tran described himself as “fresh, independent and motivated” on the campaign trail.
- Vietnamese people make up 10.7% of Maribyrnong’s population.