A daily dose of Asian America's essential stories, in under 5 minutes.
Get our collection of Asian America's most essential stories to your inbox daily for free.
Unsure? Check out our Newsletter Archive.
- District Attorney Shannon Wallace stated in a press conference on July 27, “Your honor, in discussing this case with Mr. Burns, the defense’s position is that this was not any type of hate crime.”
- In Cherokee County, Long shot four people, three of them women and two were of Asian descent.
- Cherokee County prosecutors determined that there wasn’t any bias involved in the crimes after Long told officers that he murdered these women due to a “sex addiction.”
- Wallace believed adding a hate crime charge due to hatred of women wouldn’t have made a difference in his sentencing, due to the plea deal. She stated that if the case were to go to trial, her intention would have been to ask for a sentence enhancement based on gender bias.
- Wallace asserts that the relatives of the victims agreed to the plea deal in order for justice to be served as quickly as possible.
- Although Long has been sentenced to life in Cherokee County, he still faces the death penalty in Fulton County where he murdered four more women, all of Asian descent, CNN reported.
- Prosecutors in Fulton County will be going for the death penalty due to Long’s hate crimes against women and race.
- As NextShark previously reported, police responded to a robbery at Gold Spa where Long had murdered three people at 5:50 p.m. that Tuesday.
- Long had shot five other people 50 minutes earlier at a different spa called Young’s Asian Massage Parlor.
- He was taken into custody at 8:30 p.m. after a car chase where he was reportedly heading towards Florida in order to continue his killing spree, CNN stated.
- This crime took place during the height of anti-Asian sentiment in the U.S.
- While police told the public Long’s motive was a “sex addiction,” eye-witnesses who spoke Korean told South Korean news outlets that Long was shouting, “I’m going to kill all Asians,” as he shot people, Rolling Stone reported.