- The suspect entered Max Trading at approximately 1:46 p.m., police said.
- The suspect asked to look at jewelry behind the glass, but Chong refused as a matter of store policy.
- Chong told NBC Washington’s Aimee Cho that the suspect became upset and yelled “F**k you Chinese people, I hate you.”
- The suspect punched Chong in the face and fled the scene.
A daily dose of Asian America's essential stories, in under 5 minutes.
Get our collection of Asian America's most essential stories to your inbox daily for free.
Unsure? Check out our Newsletter Archive.
- The suspect has not been arrested as of Wednesday afternoon.
- Chong’s wife, who tried to defend him during the incident, now fears for their family’s safety.
- “I couldn’t sleep the whole night last night,” she tells Cho. “Why do they treat us like this? We did nothing wrong.”
- Max Trading has been in business for 22 years. The couple’s daughter reportedly begged her parents not to open their shop Wednesday, but they need to make ends meet.