New York mayoral candidate Andrew Yang is facing backlash from social media users after posting a tweet on Monday that appears to be pro-Israel.
What happened: The former 2020 presidential candidate tweeted on Monday that he is “standing with the people of Israel” and “condemn[s] the Hamas terrorists” amid the conflict between Israel and the Palestinian militant group Hamas.
- The conflict between Israelis and Palestinians escalated due in part to “heavy-handed Israeli policing of Palestinians during Ramadan and controversial efforts in the Israeli courts to evict Palestinians from their homes,” BBC reported.
- On May 10, violence broke out between Israeli forces and Hamas, according to AP News.
- Hamas has seized control of Gaza since 2007, and the recent attacks have been the “most intense fighting” between Israel and Hamas since 2014.
- Israel and Hamas have been launching a series of airstrikes and rocket attacks against each other since Monday night, resulting in at least 28 Palestinian deaths so far.
I’m standing with the people of Israel who are coming under bombardment attacks, and condemn the Hamas terrorists. The people of NYC will always stand with our brothers and sisters in Israel who face down terrorism and persevere.
— Andrew Yang🧢🗽🇺🇸 (@AndrewYang) May 10, 2021
Reactions to the tweet: Business Insider noted that while Yang’s words “earned him praise from Republicans,” several people found his tweet “distasteful.”
- Ted Cruz, Meghan McCain, and former President Donald Trump’s senior advisor Stephen Miller all tweeted in approval of Yang’s statement.
- The hashtag #YangSupportsGenocide started trending on Twitter overnight.
- Henry Golding, Eddie Huang and Bishop Talbert Swan were among the many people who condemned Yang’s words. The New York mayoral candidate has since lost support from several fellow liberals.
Where do you stand on the terrorism Palestinians are experiencing as they are terrorized out of their homes?
— roxane gay (@rgay) May 11, 2021
I am a Jew, and this is a BAD take! Israel is ethnically cleansing Palestinians in East Jerusalem. People fighting back against this are not terrorists. The US supports BAD stuff, and this is near the top of the list, along with still doing maintenance on Saudi planes in Yemen.
— Jason Kishineff is a Rabid Anti-Imperialist. (@kishineff) May 11, 2021
— Eddie Huang (@MrEddieHuang) May 11, 2021
— Stephen Miller (@StephenM) May 11, 2021
Bravo to Yang for opposing the rabidly pro-Hamas & anti-Israel attacks from fellow Dems Omar & Tlaib. https://t.co/E12UQ1HY8F
— Ted Cruz (@tedcruz) May 11, 2021
The systemic oppression, institutional discrimination, and violent persecution of Palestinians are crimes against humanity. It is wicked, evil, and inhumane.
Glad to know where you stand. https://t.co/GG0Y9gYvIX
— Bishop Talbert Swan (@TalbertSwan) May 11, 2021
You are an actual twat.
— Henry Golding (@henrygolding) May 11, 2021
NextShark has reached out to Yang’s mayoral campaign staff for further comment and will update this article accordingly.