K-pop girl group Aespa is cementing their place in the U.S. music scene with their recent reappearance on the Billboard 200 chart and a pair of TV appearances this week.
Billboard comeback: The quartet, composed of Karina, Ningning, Giselle and Winter — along with their avatars — re-entered the Billboard 200 with their first mini-album and first-ever physical release, “Savage.” The album reached the 85th spot on the chart for the week ending on Dec. 11.
- Aespa made history when “Savage” entered both the Billboard 200 and the Artist 100 charts at No. 20 in October. This marked the “highest debut on both the Billboard 200 and the Artist 100 of any K-pop girl group entering either chart for the first time,” according to Soompi.
- According to its website, the Billboard 200 chart “ranks the most popular albums of the week, as compiled by Nielsen Music.” This ranking is “based on multi-metric consumption,” which includes blending traditional album sales, track equivalent albums and streaming equivalent albums.
- The re-entry of “Savage” makes Aespa the fourth-ever K-pop girl group to chart an album for longer than a week. Previous groups that set the record include Blackpink, Twice and Itzy.
- “Savage” also returned to other Billboard charts this week, taking the 2nd spot of the World Albums chart, the 10th spot of the Independent Albums chart, the 15th spot of the Top Current Album Sales chart and the 21st spot of the Top Album Sales chart.
TV appearances: Aespa has been featured in two U.S. TV shows this week. The group made their first appearance on Comedy Central’s “The Daily Show with Trevor Noah” on Tuesday. Today, they appeared on Fox’s “The Nick Cannon Show.”
- Aespa toured New York City on a bus with correspondent Roy Wood Jr. for “The Daily Show.” The tour was reportedly filmed while the group was in town for last month’s Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, where they performed “Savage.”
- The quartet was in awe as Wood directed their attention to popular spots in the city. The tour ended with all five of them singing karaoke.
- Aespa’s appearance on “The Nick Cannon Show” is a first for any K-pop group. They are also slated to perform “Savage.”
Check out Aespa’s tour of the Big Apple below: