These little red packets go by different names — hóng bāo in Mandarin, lai see in Cantonese and âng pau in Hokkien — but they all share common purposes of bringing good luck and warding off evil spirits.
For those who may not know, red envelopes are filled with cash, the amount of which varies depending on the occasion (they are also given during weddings). However, it typically ends with an even digit as odd numbers are traditionally associated with funerals.
Interestingly, people have been sending next-level red envelope gifts for some time, and this Lunar New Year is no exception!
Check out the most epic and hilarious gifts people received this year:
2. “@ MY MOM IS THIS EVEN ALLOWED”
3. When your friend is low on cash…
6. Not sure what’s inside this, but we get the message.
7. “This is what happens if y’all forget to take your red envelopes out before the clothes get washed.” Yikes. #lessonlearned
8. “wtf whats wrong w my mother” + “THE HUMILIATION”
9. “The only red envelope I got this year 🤨” #animefansgetthis
10. “Don’t just assume when you get a thicc one…”
11. “The only #RedEnvelope I got this year … Heck, I’ll take it!”
12. “Pinnacle of red envelopes.” LOL if you get why.