- The global analytics and advice firm Gallup found the Philippines to be the most stressed, Laos to be the angriest and Cambodia to be the saddest countries in Southeast Asia.
- In a survey conducted from 2021 to early 2022, the global analytic firm recorded “yes,” “no” and “don’t know or refused to answer” responses from respondents aged 15 and older.
- Respondents were asked about the emotions they felt, including stress level, anger and sadness, the day before the survey was conducted.
- Gallup compiled the results of each country to create a Positive Experience Index (PEI) and a Negative Experience Index (NEI).
- The PEI scores relate to respondents’ “perceptions about living standards, personal freedoms and presence of social networks,” while the NEI results are connected to people’s experiences of health problems and their ability to afford food, according to Gallup.
New surveys reveal the Philippines to be the most stressed country in Southeast Asia.
Global analytics and advice firm Gallup measured the emotional states of people in more than 100 countries through extensive surveys. In one survey conducted from 2021 to early 2022, the global analytic firm recorded “yes,” “no” and “don’t know or refused to answer” responses from respondents aged 15 and older.
- Lo van Pham is set to make history as the first Asian American to officiate in the NFL.
- In an announcement posted on Tuesday, the NFL congratulated Pham and its other new game officials.
- Born in Vietnam, Pham and his family of five lived in a refugee camp in the Philippines before moving to Amarillo, Texas, in 1979.
- Pham was a defensive back for Palo Duro before becoming a back judge in Amarillo in 2000.
- He got his first break in 2006 when he was chosen to work for the Lone Star Conference.
- The following year, Pham started rising through the ranks as a Division 1 on-field official for the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). In 2015, he officiated his first Big 12 Conference game.
Editor’s note (5/5/21): A previous version of this story stated that Pham was born in Vietnam. The story has been corrected to show he was born in Laos.
Lo van Pham is set to make history as the first Asian American to officiate in the NFL.
Laos’ financial debt to China grows as $6 billion high-speed rail line between the countries is unveiled
China is now connected with Laos via a recently completed high-speed rail line, which reportedly cost $6 billion.
Chinese-led initiative: On Friday, a virtual ceremony attended by Chinese President Xi Jinping and Laotian President Thongloun Sisoulith marked the opening of the rail line, which is part of China’s global infrastructure development strategy called the “Belt and Road Initiative,” reported Reuters.
Local authorities in Laos seized a massive drug haul that a United Nations crime agency has called the biggest bust ever recorded in Asia.
Biggest in history: On Wednesday, Laos police discovered 55.6 million methamphetamine tablets and under 1.7 tons of crystal meth inside a beer delivery truck that officers pulled over for inspection, reported the Washington Post.
Laos has recorded its first COVID-19 related fatality since the pandemic began over a year ago.
About the death: A 53-year-old woman, who worked at a “karaoke club in Naxay village, Xaysettha district,” died in the country’s capital, the Vientiane Times reported.
“What is a story you’ve been dying to tell?”
In a now-archived AskReddit post, Redditor average_smaverage opened up a platform for others in the community to share some of their most interesting experiences. Some wrote about people who had made lasting impressions on them, while others talked about good deeds they’d done but hadn’t been able to talk about in person without coming off as bragging.
A new form of malaria that is resistant to today’s standard treatment, currently being referred to as “Super Malaria,” has broken out in Southern Vietnam.
According to BBC, scientists are warning the public that the rapid spread of “Super Malaria” in Southeast Asia could pose a global threat. The first case of parasitic infection of this drug resistant Malaria was in Cambodia back in 2007. And ever since then, it has traveled across SEA to Thailand, Laos, Myanmar and now Vietnam.
Laos now has their first-ever candidate for the Miss Universe pageant, Laotian model Souphaphone Somvichit. The 21-year-old made history when she was crowned as the country’s first Miss Universe representative during the event which was held at the National Convention Center in Vientiane.
Jon Nguamsanith is a Laotian-American who manages a men’s grooming shop in Reston Town Center, Virginia. Recently he was victim of a racist by a white man claiming to be a Trump supporter.
Nguamsanith uploaded the video of the incident on Facebook, which has since gone viral. At one point in the video, the man asks him if he is a legal citizen in this country.