Chrissy Teigen has sparked online outrage after getting together with her celebrity friends for a “Squid Game”-themed party, with fans calling her out for her “tone-deaf” festivities.
What happened: It all started after Teigen, 35, posted a series of images on Instagram showing her and celebrity guests — including “Pretty Little Liars” star Shay Mitchell and others — dressed up as characters from the hit Netflix show and reenacting some of the show’s deadly children’s games.
- “‘My dream came true of watching my friends fight to the death! dunk tank, musical chairs, hide and seek followed by a very riveting final game of pin the tail on the donkey,” she wrote.
- Instead of winning a ton of cash like in “Squid Game,” the winner of Teigen’s party takes home a flight to Napa, Calif., and dinner for two at Michelin-starred restaurant French Laundry.
View this post on Instagram
The backlash: Teigen was slammed by Instagram users who called the party out of touch, with one commenter saying: “This is so beyond tone-deaf as a millionaire to invite your rich friends over and reenact ‘Squid Game,’ which is rooted in the violence of capitalism.”
- Some fans called the celebration “cringe,” while others called Teigen out for her “complete lack of self-awareness.”
- “I love this…. But I’m also getting rich white men watching the glass bridge episode vibes,” another user said.
- “‘Squid Game’ was literally about people whose lives were so awful because of being poor that they’d rather play a game of literal life or death to escape going back to poverty and Chrissy Teigen is really reenacting it in her mansion,” one user said, according to the New York Post.