It seems like everyone is calling themselves an entrepreneur these days. Everyone is after that next genius idea hoping to make it big, but while everyone wants that success, only a few can earn it. Those who have been successful know what separates the real entrepreneurs from what Mark Cuban coins as “the wantrepreneurs”. Here are the qualities of a real entrepreneur from some of the industry’s best.
1. “Real entrepreneurs make it happen. Wannabes make excuses.” – George Strompolos, CEO of Fullscreen
If an entrepreneur was a super hero, pessimism would be his arch nemesis. A loser makes excuses to not even try, but having the determination to greet failure and push even further is what makes a real entrepreneur.
2. Real entrepreneurs are driven by their passion, wantrepreneurs are driven by what they think their passion should be.
“One of the huge mistakes people make is that they try to force an interest on themselves. You don’t choose your passions; your passions choose you.” – Jeff Bezos
All successful entrepreneurs do what they love and love what they do. Failure is pushing an idea you don’t truly believe in, being knowledgeable and passionate about your business is what makes it a successful sell.
3. A wantrepreneur thinks it’s all about them, a real entrepreneur knows that the team is everything.
“The key is having great players. But there are a lot of teams that have All-Stars and haven’t been able to put it together.” – Mark Cuban
A real entrepreneur knows the value of teamwork and leadership. The greatest idea can never succeed without the right leader and the right people being able to organize and work together in any case.
4. “Real entrepreneurs do what they say they’re going to do, wannabes ask about it and have tons and tons of coffee meetings.” – Brian Wong, CEO of Kiip
When it comes down to it, taking action is what really counts no matter how many good ideas you might be coming up with. You know that 90% of success quote? Real entrepreneurs takes that leap to get the ball rolling when they say they will.
5. Wantrepreneurs play with the image of success now, a real entrepreneur works to live it later on.
“Entrepreneurship is living a few years of your life like most people won’t so you can spend the rest of your life like most people can’t.” – Warren G. Tracy’s student
The life of an entrepreneur often calls for sacrifice, whether it’s living off a diet of Cup of Noodles or living out of a car. Pushing an idea to success isn’t all about looking the part, working hard and working smart brings real success.
6. Real entrepreneurs embrace and learn from failure, wantrepreneurs are defeated by it.
“It’s fine to celebrate success but it is more important to heed the lessons of failure.” – Bill Gates
Every entrepreneur meets failure at some point, but it’s what happens after that separates the real from the fake. After all the time, energy, and money spent, learning from why you failed and being better off is the key to meeting success later on.
7. “Real entrepreneurs can’t stop thinking about their company, wannabes can’t stop thinking about other people’s success.” – Greg Isenberg, CEO of 5by
Hip-hop artist Drake would agree with his line, “I don’t ever be trippin off of what ain’t mine”. A real entrepreneur is too busy growing his own company to follow someone else’s success.
8. The business goal of a wantrepreneur is the money, an entrepreneur’s goal is to be the best.
“Money is the trophy you get from doing the job well.” – Freeway Rick Ross
Becoming an entrepreneur with the mind to make lots of money often leads to failure. Success isn’t about getting rich, it’s about being the best at what you do, and wealth always follows the best.
9. A wantrepreneur works off a few lessons, a real entrepreneur is forever a student.
“My biggest motivation? Just to keep challenging myself. I see life almost like one long University education that I never had — everyday I’m learning something new.” – Richard Branson
As much as we might wish, we can’t stay in school forever, but we don’t have to be in school to keep learning. Always keep an open mind and be as passionate about learning as you are about your business.
10. A real entrepreneur creates what a wantrepreneur says is impossible.
“If something is important enough, even if the odds are against you, you should still do it.” – Elon Musk
What do you call driving a sexy electric car and taking a rocket to the moon? Creating what many people call the impossible, but we should all dream like Elon Musk if we want to live that extreme life. You now know the impossible can be done, so what can you come up with?